Friday, May 13, 2011

top hat

Have I told you about this top hat? No? It's more than what you think. It's got powers... No, really, it does.


My father gave it to me for my eighth birthday. I had a dance recital the next day, so I was too nervous to celebrate with cake or anything that required me holding something. You know how kids build things up in their minds? Well, in my mind the dance recital was like giving a speech to run for class president. I knew other kids were going to be up there with me, but it didn't matter.


My father noticed I couldn't stop running to the restroom and that I hadn't touched any of my birthday presents. What's wrong, he asked.


I'm going to trip and fall tomorrow, I told him. I knew I would because something always goes wrong. I'm going to forget the steps and hit the person on my left, and then I'm going to embarrass myself and the whole class because I can't dance.


My father took my hand and led me to the garage. He opened one of the storage cabinets and took from the very top a black top hat.


Don't tell anyone, he said, but this hat's more than a hat. This hat makes you powerful. It will help you dance.


I didn't really believe him at first, but then I held it in my hands and immediately I felt a warm sensation in my fingers. The hat was pulsing a beat through me that overrode the erratic one of my heart, and suddenly I felt calmer.


We ate cake and opened presents that day. I went to bed with the top hat in hand and held it close to my chest, sleeping with it like how babies sleep with toys. When I woke up the next day, the hat was still in my hands protecting me.


I was the best one at the recital. I wore the hat despite my dance teacher's protestations, and as the music began I felt the hat move me as if it had control over my legs. I was on time, dancing to the beat, and my legs were graceful and on point. You don't understand, this hat danced for me. My father said for him, the hat -


"Okay, geez, I'll take it already!"


The teenager stuffed five dollars in my hand and snatched the dusty old top hat. "I was just wondering how old it was," he grumbled as he walked away.


Oh well, at least I made five dollars.






2 comments:

  1. i see what you mean now about top hats being funny, hehe. five dollars can buy you a tuna melt at cheese n stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute! i mean me but your story was nice too!

    ReplyDelete