Monday, February 14, 2011

happy valentine's day!

What is the best thing about today? It's not the love in the air or the affectionate gestures; and it's certainly not the chocolates that are just waiting to go on sale the day after. No, it's the fact that February 14 is just another day. And today, it's just another gloomy day with sporadic showers of rain and a coldness in the air.


Just kidding.


If you love Valentine's Day (ha, get it?), then good for you! If you don't, then don't suck the fun out of it for others. I'm going to look at this day from a more historical standpoint and go back to a question that many of us ask and never follow up on: What exactly is Valentine's Day?


When I was in high school, I learned something about how today was named after Saint Valentine and he stands for love for some unknown reason. Yeah, no one knows how exactly St. Valentine and romantic love came together. I think we do know that Valentine was a martyr though, so if someone asks you to be his or her Valentine, think twice before answering.


Anyway, not knowing the origin of the day doesn't stop anyone from celebrating it, but its history that I so wanted to divulge is forever lost. I thought maybe that I just couldn't remember any information from school, so today I decided to look it up on Google and I found... Yep, I found nothing. I still have no idea why we have today designated as the day of love.


But it's been celebrated for centuries now, so if anything Valentine's Day has created its own history just for being recognized every year. Ah, the power of tradition!






On another note, happy 8th year to Ophelia and Jimmy! Look what they did for their anniversary.

1 comment: