Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Update! What's going on, and is this NaNoWriMo Day 6?

Hello! If you are new here, then welcome to my strange little blog where I write short little stories and fun thoughts that come into my mind. I used to write a bit more regularly here in the past, and now not at all because I've been concentrating on my other blog.

But! I hope for that to change. See, the reason why I've been slacking here is because I felt for a long time that I just wasn't a writer. I don't know how to write, but I like to fake it. I'm not very creative, but I like to pretend I am. I'm not very dedicated, but I would like to be.

That last one is important, because I've decided to take on a ridiculous challenge this month. I've pledged an effort to try for a 50,000-word novel written during this month of November, and so far I've been pretty on track. Go, me! And as for not knowing how to write and not being very creative--I think these can definitely be developed over time and experience. Writers don't automatically become great at writing. Practice, practice, practice, my friends.

I've always wanted to do NaNoWriMo, but I never signed up because I felt too intimidated by the gigantic word count to even try. Last month though, there were new developments in my work life, with two internships coming to an end a new part-time position at a publisher. I knew that in November I would have more time to myself for self-improvement, and since my copywriting at least was getting tons better, I thought my writing deserved further exploration again. And hey, wouldn't it be perfect timing since NaNoWriMo was coming up? I decided to toss out my fears and just bite the bullet. So I've been writing every single day this month, at least 1,667 words! That's not to say I'm writing a masterpiece (toooooootally far from it, which I'm proud of). But writing a terrible story is better than not writing at all.

This is just a personal project for me, inspired by a national movement, to get the writing juices flowing. To keep myself on track, I asked my friend to do daily creations with me, except her project is illustration-based. It's just the 6th day, but so far we've both been keeping up.

I'll be blogging here sometimes about my NaNoWriMo experience and what I'm learning. And hopefully after this month is over, I'll be reinvigorated to write stories again. Can I get a high five? Anyone?

That's okay; I got it. I'm also learning self-sufficiency!


1 comment: