Sunday, November 17, 2013

Nano day 17: More than halfway there!

We're now in our third week, and I'm more than halfway into my story. After flailing a little bit in my story and where exactly it was going, yesterday I finally settled on a new outline to follow and now I have the finish line in sight! I know where to go and what to do, and now I just have to write it. Finally, I've found my way again!

I am discovering how much I love outlines. It really helps to have a plan, at least for me, because I'm one of those people who like to know what I'm writing about. I've tried the write-as-I-go method before, and while it does get my characters to do fun stuff, the plot never goes anywhere. And this is just one of the few things I've learned this month about my writing habits.

I also learned that the afternoons are difficult times for me to write. Around 2-5 pm is generally a sleepy, lethargic time of the day for me where all I want to do is eat, watch TV, and sleep. I don't even get the reading bug around this time! And while I can work in the mornings, I find myself writing more quickly and easily at night after dinner. Of course this is the only free time I have from work and meals and sleep. As a kid, I did all my schoolwork right when I got home and did the studying at night, so this might also have carried on to my habits today. But just because those are the prime times doesn't mean I only write in these time slots. I got about 500 words in this afternoon after all, even if I was very distracted by the 49ers vs. Saints football game.

As for the atmosphere, writing with music or in silence is most conducive to getting into my story. It's hard to write with the TV on (which is what I do a lot anyway) because there are other story lines and actions going on. Lately I've been listening to a lot of soundtracks from Disney films and Pitch Perfect. But this doesn't help me write. It actually makes me stop writing so I can sing along and wave my arms and pretend I'm Mulan, staring into the river, lamenting about how I will never bring honor to my family. So I would recommend music that you cannot sing along to.

So how is my NaNoWriMo experience so far? I am happy to say I haven't hit any walls or encountered writer's block yet. The most negative thing I've had to deal with so far is just being too tired to write, and even then I just push through my exhaustion to get in some words for the day. I am discovering how inspiration works, too. I used to think it would hit you and suddenly everything in your story would come together, but I haven't felt this bolt during this whole month. What actually works for me is the experimentation with plot outlines. I try something out, and if it works, then something else pops into my head to follow that. For me, creativity comes from trite ideas that are used, then tossed, then exchanged and developed and eventually transformed into potentially good ideas.

November's passing by so quickly because all my attentions are put on writing my novel. Can you believe it's already the 17th? I'm working hard on this thing to try to finish on time. If you're writing for NaNoWriMo as well, good luck on the rest of November! We're halfway there!

No comments:

Post a Comment