Wednesday, January 18, 2012

spirit

I have a spirit in the closet.  His name is Maximilian Junior the Sixth.


I met him when I was trying to find the red raincoat my mother gave me for my eighth birthday.  "Where are you, Red Raincoat?" I asked loudly, pulling open the closet doors.  To my surprise, a little white shadow was in there trying on my gloves.


"Oh, hello there.  Sorry to just be in here trying on your things, but you know, you have very nice clothes," the spirit said in a British accent.  He put away my gloves and straightened his back.  "My name is Maximilian Junior the Sixth.  You may call me exactly that."


I was scared that there was a spirit in the closet, but I remembered my manners and introduced myself.  "Pleasure to meet you, Maximilian Junior the Fifth.  I'm Kelly, and this is my closet."


"The Sixth, actually.  Oh, is it?  I thought I was in a very dark store," Maximilian Junior the Sixth said, looking around my closet with a thoughtful look on his face.  "You know if you add some lights in here, this place would really be very wonderful to live in."


I wasn't so sure if that were true though because my pants and socks were thrown all over the floor of the closet and many of the hangers were broken with wires poking out.  But I was happy to have made a friend, so I just nodded.


Maximilian Junior the Sixth nodded along with me before his eyes widened in recalling something.  "Ah, you were looking for Red Raincoat, weren't you?  Here it is!"  He held out my shiny jacket and handed it to me reluctantly.  "It really is beautiful.  Do be careful, would you?"


"Okay."  I heard my mother yelling for me from the door and quickly put on my jacket.  "I promise to be clean today.  Will you be here when I come back?"


Maximilian Junior the Sixth winked at me with a knowing grin.  "Only if this closet becomes as clean as a store!"


From that day on, I made sure to clean my closet and my room.  Mother and Father were very proud of me and happy that they didn't trip when they came in to visit me.


But Maximilian Junior the Sixth never came back.

1 comment: